
I'm still working on my review of Doctor Whom, so watch for it here soon. In the meantime, this article has me cringing. It reveals Amy Pond's actual job (is she really a police officer?), but this snippet has me the most concerned:
"Karen will reportedly be seen in a variety of skimpy costumes when she makes her screen debut as Amy in the spring, and will also demonstrate her kissing skill on the Doctor."
Seriously? I know "Moffat is an edgier writer", but edgy should also mean "topics dealt with", not just "how sexy can we get?". This reeks of the similar motives Nathan-Turner had in 1984 by ramping up the sex-appeal with Peri Brown, and even that was toned down. Here's the funny thing: British television has always been known to be a little more racy than North American television, or at least it used to be, but Peri was brought in to try to appeal to the American market. I'm not sure what the ratings figures were, but obviously it didn't break much ground. So here we are in 2KX, and I'm wondering that given how brash American television has gotten (I surfed by a repeat-airing of a Hooter's contest on Spike a week back during primetime... fake, fake, fake... those could be real...) that I wonder if Moffat is trying to get a better foothold in the U.S. market. I hope I'm wrong, but if skimpy outfits are in the wardrobe, then we may see the producers begin targeting the less interested mouth-breathers who'll just as soon flip over to watch Manswers before devoting their time to a show that is more than brazen T&A. And if that's going to be the outcome, then why not leave the sex in the bedroom, have a companion in the classic Who-sense, and focus on those edgier stories like the show should be doing.
Seriously? I know "Moffat is an edgier writer", but edgy should also mean "topics dealt with", not just "how sexy can we get?". This reeks of the similar motives Nathan-Turner had in 1984 by ramping up the sex-appeal with Peri Brown, and even that was toned down. Here's the funny thing: British television has always been known to be a little more racy than North American television, or at least it used to be, but Peri was brought in to try to appeal to the American market. I'm not sure what the ratings figures were, but obviously it didn't break much ground. So here we are in 2KX, and I'm wondering that given how brash American television has gotten (I surfed by a repeat-airing of a Hooter's contest on Spike a week back during primetime... fake, fake, fake... those could be real...) that I wonder if Moffat is trying to get a better foothold in the U.S. market. I hope I'm wrong, but if skimpy outfits are in the wardrobe, then we may see the producers begin targeting the less interested mouth-breathers who'll just as soon flip over to watch Manswers before devoting their time to a show that is more than brazen T&A. And if that's going to be the outcome, then why not leave the sex in the bedroom, have a companion in the classic Who-sense, and focus on those edgier stories like the show should be doing.

No comments:
Post a Comment